Polls are open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. today in BC’s local government elections. Every mayoral, council, regional district, and school trustee seat is up for grabs.
Here is what you need to know to vote.
Are you on the voters’ list? If so, great. You’re all set. If not, you’ll have to register before casting your ballot, provided you are 18 or older, a Canadian citizen, a BC resident for at least six months, a resident or property owner of the jurisdiction where you are voting for at least 30 days, and not otherwise disqualified from voting.
If you are registering to vote and live in the place where you’re voting, you will have to produce two pieces of ID, at least one with a signature, proving your name and address. Photo ID isn’t necessary.
If you are registering but don’t live in the jurisdiction, you will have to meet the same ID requirements and also provide proof you are entitled to register in relation to the property, and if applicable, written consent form the majority of the other property owners.
BC Transit is offering free bus rides today in Castlegar and Trail to help you get to the polls.
Here’s where you’ll go to cast your ballot:
- Trail: Trail Memorial Centre, Victoria View Room (former library space, 1051 Victoria St.)
- Castlegar: Castlegar and District Recreation Complex (2101 6th Ave.)
- Rossland: Rossland Miner’s Hall (1765 Columbia Ave.)
- Fruitvale: Fruitvale Memorial Centre (1968 Main St.)
- Montrose: Village office (565 11th Ave.)
- Warfield: Village office (555 Schofield Hwy)
- Salmo: Salmo Valley Youth & Community Centre (206 Seventh Ave.)
- Slocan: Slocan Village Office (503 Slocan St.)
- Silverton: Silverton Memorial Hall (203 Lake Ave.)
- New Denver: Knox Hall (521 6th Ave.)
- Regional District of Central Kootenay (polling stations for additional races not listed here can be found at mynelsonnow.com and mycrestonnow.com)
- Area G (Rural Salmo): Salmo Community Centre (206 7th St.), Ymir Community Hall (7210 1st Ave.)
- Area H (Slocan Valley): Creston Valley Hall (1385 Hway 6), Winlaw Community Hall (5897 Hwy 6), Bosun Hall (710 Bellevue St., New Denver), Silverton Hall (203 Lake Ave., Silverton), Hills Fire Hall (Hwy 6)
- Area J (Lower Arrow-Columbia): Robson Community Hall (3067 Waldie Ave.), Ootischenia Community Hall (1119 Columbia Rd.), Castlegar and District Community Complex (2101 6th Ave.)
- Kootenay Columbia School District: Fruitvale Memorial Centre (1968 Main St.), Montrose village office (565 11th Ave.), Montrose Community Hall (490 9th Ave.)
Once the polls close, tune in to 99.3 The Goat for regular updates, or check back here.